Sibley East is in the process of negotiating a contract to work with Minnesota State University for strategic planning services.
Superintendent John Langenbrunner told the Board of Education Monday night that he met with Minnesota State University’s Center for Engaged Leadership on Oct. 5. He hopes to have a contract prepared for the school board to consider at the November meeting.
Langenbrunner explained that it will be a 20 month contract with a timeline to be presented at the school board’s organizational meeting in January.
Strategic planning will involve probing the community in five areas – curriculum, instruction, finances, transportation, and facilities, Langenbrunner said. Minnesota State University has suggested that the school board and superintendent not participate in the focus groups, because they are the parties to receive the information, Langenbrunner said.
In other business, the Board of Education:
• Approved an agreement with the Green Isle Community School to have Brian Biermann, developmental adapted physical education teacher, provide one hour of contract time every week from Sept. 5, 2006 – May 31, 2007. Sibley East will be reimbursed $42/hour plus travel time and mileage from Arlington to Green Isle and back.
Langenbrunner said that in addition to this contract, Sibley East Food Service also prepares hot lunch for the Green Isle Community School and is reimbursed. Sibley East also provides the bus transportation.
• Hired Mike Feterl as high school knowledge bowl coach; Kelli Gardner and Katie Kaletka as high school fall play directors; and Jackie Ranweiler as the elementary science fair coordinators.
• Accepted the resignations of Heidi Carpenter, ninth grade volleyball coach effective the end of the 2006 season and as ninth grade softball coach effective immediately; and Doug Flieth as elementary science fair coordinator.
• Increased hours for Jill Bening, a paraprofessional at the Gaylord campus, from 3.5 to 5.5 hours per day.
• Approved the teacher’s seniority list for 2006-2007.